Monday, March 23, 2009

Team Work Vanderkitten Style


So, not only do we look smoking hot, but we race that way too!  We had a great, aggressive showing at Landpark and flawless team work in Hanford.  At Landpark Liz dominated the primes while Jen and Mary relentlessly attacked.  I chased breaks and then managed to get up front on the finishing straight as a pack of 6 girls broke away to the line.  Although I wasn't able to reach them in the sprint I did hold off the chasing field for a solid 7th.  I have to be pleased with the placing as I'm working myself back into shape and working on my sprint.
Mel was our newest rider at Landpark, and I have to give a shout out to her for a job well done!  
Hanford was the same team minus Liz and Mel.  We shook things up on the first lap and then Mary and Jen and I took turns fighting for primes.  Jen scored in that regard!  Mary was a threat to be reckoned with as she kept pounding the front every chance she got.  Personally, I was feeling a little less spunky and decided to chase down any threatening breaks forming while trying to stay tucked in from the 20 mph plus wind!  Actually, the wind kept everyone in check and for the most part the race settled into attacks for primes and bunching in the wind.  A few break-away chases by me, Jen blocking and then Mary turning the screws afterwards became our M.O. though -- no rest for the wicked!  Yet laps latter it all boiled down to a bunch sprint.  We had decided that Mary was the gal for the sprint and she nearly sprinted to the win -- positions 1-6 we're incredibly close -- all at the line, millimeters apart!  Unfortunately Mary lost out on a second place by a nose hair, and I lost out on forth by even less.  BUT, we were up there and in contention, albeit after racing hard.  Jen rounded out the top ten after strong lead-out.  All in all, we kicked some serious butticus and it was fun!  
Riding this weekend was a great reminder of good times and friends.  I really need it ;-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment